Monday 26 February 2024

IDENTITY one minute read



 

I am an old composer.

I am an old woman.

My bones though feel fresh. 

I have travelled far and yet I am nowhere near my destination. 

My breasts are still pert, my breath fresh, my libido intact.

I am an old composer.

I am a poet.

 

 I am a cherry picker of dreams and I pick my nose at night.

I am gay in my heart but in reality, I am straight.

I identify as a successful male composer

And yes, I would have liked to have a penis 

But that was really because I wanted the power that men have, that men still have.

I am an old composer. 

Fuck I am a woman. 

 

Most featured art music composers are still young men. 

The teachers of composition departments are mostly middle-aged white men. 

Sure a few women get a show. 

But did you know that only 11% of new art music featured on the BBC is by women?

But there are more women composing than that, I can assure you.

 

I walk by the roaring symphony of the North Sea every day

I am whole without accolades. 

I have a male composer soul-mate who sustains my vision.

 

I am an old woman composer 

Who identifies as a young successful male composer 

Help me!

No forget that, I will help myself 

I am worth it. 

I am a god, if only you knew!


Sunken Cities 8' for string quartet composed by Dr Self


https://soundcloud.com/selfmademusic/sunken-cities-8?si=41163cb0d0434afaa15bffb8f0a6fd80&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

 


Holkham Bay, North Norfolk



No comments: