Friday 8 March 2024

A Poem for Women’s Day


 

I choose not to wear frilly clothes, paint my nails or spend hours having my hair done

So, am I still a woman?

I like adventure, to walk for days into the wilderness

To kayak un-chartered seas, to swim unknown channels. 

So, am I a woman?

I can’t identify with the visual constraints that the media imposes on women

 I don’t want to waste my time with appearances.

 Instead I want to compose symphonies and operas.

So, am I a woman?

Actually, I don’t feel much like one especially since becoming older.

So, what am I?

I am just a human being who wants equality. 





Watch the performance 
https://vimeo.com/615142400

Soundscapes, Music, Video, Performance: SEAWOLF (Susannah Self)

A woman emerges from a pile of rubbish like Erda in Wagner’s Ring. Extended vocalisations interface with sea sounds and film. International composer/singer Susannah Self performs as SEAWOLF to combine physical theatre with punchy minimalist music. “I know that my body excites women, body excites men”. The Anatomy of a Woman, once the focus of male artists, is re-conceived to allow us to become authentically embodied. Inspired by artists Yayoi Kusama, Billie Eilish and Pina Bausch, HER BODY is the antidote to traditional operatic interpretations of what it feels like to be a woman.



 

 

No comments: