Saturday 8 June 2024

Mysterious Islands: One minute read


With the recent baffling and disturbing disappearance of Dr Mosely on a Greek island I am reminded of  curious events that happened to me last year on a similar island. On that glorious island, I received news that a close family friend had died suddenly and tragically in a motor bike accident. A thunder bolt literally coursed through my body, I was unable to accept it. Curiously, the people I were with showed little sympathy and instead emotionally brought me to my knees by attacking me. As a Jungian I would suggest they were incapable of dealing with their shadow side and fear of death and so projected these momentous emotions on to me. The most powerful response I could muster was to leave that island very quickly, however it came at a huge cost to my well being. Thankfully with the love and support of my husband Michael, my wonderful friends and a very astute psychotherapist I can truly say I am now 9 months later moving on. In the painful process of recovery some home truths were realised such as "you are are never more than 6 feet away from a rat". It is curious that such a gorgeous place as a Greek island could throw up trouble, but in this respect Shakespeare in The Tempest alluded to such events.

 It was on the island that that I composed my 4th symphony The Island. 



Yehudi Menuhin, the virtuoso violinist, said that to be an artist is to suffer. I am not sure that I agree with him as like everyone I want to have a happy life. However I could say that great art can emerge from suffering because it provides the grit in the shell that makes the pearl. Perhaps I wouldn't have composed so prolifically had I not been overwhelmed with grief at the premature loss of my parents many years ago and perhaps I would not have elected to go to the same Greek island for so many years had I not been looking for a replacement family. My final composition from the left island last year was my Stabat Mater which I consider my best work yet. The island blessed me.

You can watch the performance in Ely Cathedral on this link. Please make a comment if you can.


 



On the plane home last year from the Greek island, the Greek architect that I was serendipitously sitting next to smiled as I shed tears and said " but there are so many Greek islands to explore". This year I am heading out to Greece on a new adventure to the Peloponnese region with a spring in my step and gratitude for all the good and bad that the Greek island that I have moved on from has afforded me.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.

Without her you wouldn't have set out.

She has nothing left to give you now.


And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.

Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,

you’ll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.


From Ithaka

BY C. P. CAVAFY





 

No comments: